The Competence Center Polymers and Fiber Composites develops and functionalizes polymers in general and polymers for fibers and matrices in fiber composite technology in particular. A unique selling point of the competence center is the research along the entire process chain from polymer synthesis to the component with a close interweaving of polymer and process engineering.
The main focus of polymer technology is the development of tailor-made polymers for the fiber spinning process, extrusion, injection moulding and for non-reinforced and fiber-reinforced plastics. In terms of sustainability, research focuses on recyclable and bio-based / biodegradable polymers that can be economically produced.
The production of continuous fiber-reinforced components - especially with carbon fiber reinforcement - is currently still comparatively expensive. The close interlocking of polymer and process engineering in the competence center offers the ideal opportunity here for the development of new energy and material-saving and cost-efficient materials and processes.
The aim is to develop fiber composites with very good chemical, physical and mechanical characteristics and a long service life thanks to the force-flow-optimized alignment of the fibers and improved fiber-matrix adhesion.
Further research in the competence center is aimed at the integration of sensor technology in hybrid and multifunctional composites. The sensor technology already records the production of the components and monitors the function of the components in continuous use. In addition, built-in actuators can adapt the components to changing environmental or operating conditions.
In close cooperation with the other competence centers and research areas of the DITF, the recycling of materials is being further developed and LCA data is being collected.
Range of services:
- Development of latent accelerators/catalysts (together with the Institute of Polymer Chemistry (IPOC) of the University of Stuttgart)
- Polymer modifications (flame retardancy, etc.
- Matrix production and matrix functionalization (cast polyamides, epoxy resins, siloxanes, PUR, isocyanurates, poly(oxazolidinone)e, polyester, etc.
- Fiber/matrix compatibility (chemical adaptation of polymers, process development)
- Polymer analysis (determination of end groups, molar mass determination, colour values, etc.)
- Fiber and polymer recycling (chemical or thermal in the reactor)
- Synthesis of masterbatches (flame retardant in polyamides, etc.)
- Polymer synthesis (polycondensations, polyaddition, ROMP, (anionic) ROP, 1K/2K matrix polymers; etc.) with adjustable properties
- Preforming (braiding, tape-laying, roving-winding, hand lay-up, etc.)
- Manufacturing (pultrusion, hot-pressing, roving-winding, roving -laying technique)
- Component testing (static and dynamic, computer tomography, DSC, DMA, etc.)
- Process and component simulation, single fiber simulation